For a while now I have wanted to experiment with other CF engines. But kept putting it off for various reasons. Well, this weekend I decided to take the plunge. My first attempt was using CF9's multi-server install with JRUN which met with only partial success. For whatever reason I was never able to get the Open BlueDragon WAR file to deploy correctly under JRUN.
Thanks to a suggestion from Peter J. Farrell, I decided to try using Tomcat instead. Surprisingly, it was very simple to setup. I followed some excellent posts by Todd Rafferty and Matt Woodward and now have all three engines up and running with Tomcat + Apache on windows (.. and yes Todd, it is very fast!). Now be warned, Matt's entry is long. But it is very informative, so read it all. (Besides, if you read my blog I know you are used to long entries.)
Now I am busily reading up on Tomcat and Apache, wondering why I did not do this sooner...
Update: When I installed Tomcat I selected a different JVM than the one that ships with CF9. So the first time I tried to invoke a web service CF threw an error saying the "...class file has wrong version 49.0, should be 48.0". In case you run into this issue, it was easily solved after reading a handy post by Rupesh Kumar: ColdFusion and WebService : "class file has wrong version. Note, after updating the tools.jar, I did have to stop and restart Tomcat for the change to fully take effect.